Friday, August 29, 2008

To Go Out or Stay In

Labor Day weekend. It's truly a blessing -- gorgeous late-summer weather, a paid vacation day, a three-day weekend. The skies are blue, the sun is high, and there's a distinct "getaway" feel in the air that makes me eager to drop everything I'm doing and go somewhere, anywhere, for a few days. Since I'm working today and won't travel tomorrow, that leaves Sunday/Monday. But just as my mind begins to wrap itself around the thought of taking off for a day or two, I remember: everyone is going somewhere this weekend. If I think Sunday afternoon traffic is generally bad during the summer, I'm going to go out of my mind if I allow myself to get stuck in Labor Day traffic. In truth, this is one of the worst drawbacks of living where I do; there is no way around the traffic jams. When you're stuck, the best you can do is crank up the radio and try not to care. But I do care. I hate crowds, and I hate traffic. Not a particularly patient person in general, slow-moving mobs drive me mad. So where does that leave me? A day trip on Sunday? I could go hiking... along with half the outdoor-loving population of the area. Hmm... crowds in the great outdoors are even more annoying than crowds in the city. But maybe it won't be as crowded as I think. Don't most people go to the beach on Labor Day weekend? So then, the mountains should be a bit of a haven.

In the alternative, I could stay home. For three days straight... then again, no way. Even I can't bury myself in books for that many consecutive hours. To the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment